We see natural skin care education as a key to our strength and viability as a sensitive skin, hair and body care product company.
We believe consumers should be informed to enable them to make the best choices about organic skin care.
We have discovered that knowing what NOT to put on your face, body and hair is as important and perhaps more important than what you do.
Since there is so much confusion in the market place, we have made a list of the most dangerous and damaging ingredients commonly used in the face, body and hair care industry.
Some of these ingredients you can not pronounce unless you are a chemist and many of these are listed on products using a different name, but we will continue to update this list to keep you informed of these damaging, allergenic, and many times carcinogenic pollutants to your body and the environment. Some of these ingredients are more dangerous then others, but we believe NONE of these ingredients should be applied to your face, hair or body under any circumstances and you should avoid them at all cost.
Young pHorever Skin, Hair and Body Care – A Revolutionary Skin, Hair and Body care You Can Trust
1. Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea – These are the most commonly used preservatives after the parabens. They are well established as a primary cause of contact dermatitis (American Academy of Dermatology). These ingredients are derived from ANIMAL urine.
2. Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, and Ethyl Paraben – These are preservatives, or commonly known used as inhibitors of microbial growth, which extends the shelf life of products. Parabens are widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Parabens have been known to cause many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methyl paraben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals and is highly toxic.
3. Petrolatum – Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin-it can produce photosensitivity (i.e., promotes sun damage), and it tends to interfere with the body’s own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dry skin and chapping, hence creating what the product is intended to prevent.
4. Propylene Glycol – Propylene Glycol is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, which are both “natural”. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. Proplylene glycol been known to cause allergic and toxic reactions and alcohols are drying to the skin and toxic.
5. PVP/VA Copolymer – A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, wave sets and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since particles may contribute to foreign bodies in the lungs of sensitive persons.
6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – This synthetic substance is used in shampoos for its detergent and foam-building abilities. It causes eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions. It is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the parenthetic explanation “comes from coconut”. SLS is a detergent that poses serious health threats. Used in garage floor cleaners and engine degreasers. Research indicates that exposure to SLS can result in eye damage, depression, labored breathing, diarrhea, severe skin irritation, and even death! Eyes may not develop properly if exposed to SLS. SLS can be transformed into nitrosamines, a potent class of carcinogens. Your body can retain SLS for up to five days and maintain residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs, and brain.
7. Stearalkonium Chloride – A chemical used in hair conditioners and creams, which causes allergic reactions because it is highly toxic. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health.
8. Synthetic Colors – The synthetic colors used to supposedly make a cosmetic “pretty” should be avoided at all costs, along with hair dyes. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Synthetic colors are believed to be cancer-causing agents. If a cosmetic has them in it, don’t use the cosmetic. FD&C Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue #1 are synthetic colors from coal tar that deposits toxins onto the skin, causing skin irritation. Absorption can cause depletion of oxygen in the body and death.
9. Synthetic Fragrances – The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply say “Fragrance”. Some of the problems caused by these chemicals are headaches, dizziness, rash, hyper-pigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation, and the list goes on. Advice: Don’t buy a cosmetic that has the word “Fragrance” on the ingredients label.
10. Triethanolamine (TEA) – Often used in cosmetics to adjust the pH, and used with many fatty acids to convert acid to salt (stearate), which then becomes the base for a cleanser. TEA causes allergic reactions including eye problems, dryness of hair and skin, and could be toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.
11. Saccharomyces Magnesium Ferment – an acid from a yeast which causes damage to the insulin producing beta cells and pancreatic cancer.
12. Butylene Glycol – an acid that may be narcotic and cause asphyxiation.
13. Aqua Biomin Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment – This is a yeast and an acid that causes diabetes and other topical yeast infections that can lead to a host of serious symptoms.
14. DMDM Hydantoin – releases a powerful acid and neuro toxin formaldehyde which causes joint pain, skin reactions, allergies, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness, and loss of sleep. Exposure also irritates the respiratory system, triggers heart palpitations or asthma, and aggravates coughs. Other side effects are a weakened immune system and cancer.
15. Cocomidopropyl Hydroxysultaine – has added chemicals in the processing of the coconut oil which are carcinogenic.
16. Tea lauryl sulfate – is hormone disrupting chemical that can form cancer-causing nitrates. This ingredient is restricted in Europe due to the carcinogenic effects. Repeated applications can result in liver and kidney cancer.
17. Lactic Acid – This is a cancer causing agent. An acid found around all cancerous tumours.
18. Alcohol – Alcohol is a free radical and can cause dryness and flaking of the skin. Also very drying and are known to cause allergeric reactions and skin irritation.
19. Hydroquinone – This ingredient is commonly used in skin whitening products. It is also commonly used in plastics manufacturing and is a highly toxic chemical. This ingredient should not be used on humans or animals. Hydroquinone is a well known carcinogen and is known as a liver, blood, lung and respiratory, reproductive organ and skin toxicant.
20. Ethyl Acetate – This is a highly toxic chemical and is used in cosmetics. This is also used in paint remover products, including nail polish remover. Do not put this ingredient on your body, especially your face.
For more information on Young pHorever Skin, Hair and Body Care Products go to:
Copyright © 2007 by Robert O. Young, Ph.D.